Monday, January 23, 2012

Intewebz: the b!tch bologny sandwich

Firstly: 

Let's link to the LOST ART PROJECT so you can see some cool art if you'd like.  https://plus.google.com/u/0/photos/112354604569262275604/albums/5672778608335187265 

It's on Google+ and it's a cool concept.  People write descriptions they'd like to see as art and then the descriptions are mailed to various "mail-artists" around the world and interpreted.  They are then sent back to the LOLART MUSEUM...

________________________________________________________________

That line up there ^^^ is where the informational portion of this blog ends.  The rest is just me being motivated to write by what I consider some ignorant dude who doesn't understand what the art project I just mentioned is about...

_________________________________________________________________

WHY AM I EVEN INVESTED IN THIS?! 
VERY EXCELLENT QUESTION...SEE THE END OF THE BLOG FOR DETAILS.

_________________________________________________________________

So I get tagged in all the pictures that get posted to the LOST ART PROJECT (assuming) because I have written a few descriptions and I avidly comment and provide general feedback on my thoughts on the completed works... 

In my opinion, the description writer takes a few moments to type what they'd like to see as art.

EX: "You'll be king when pigs fly!"

The artist, however, takes the time to be on the mailing list, check their mail, see the description and create a picture that they think is appropriate for the text.  

If you click the link you'll see that there is a ton of wiggle room as to what the standards for this art will be.

You can clearly see that anything from collage to crayon will fly.

__________________________________________________________________

The Scenario:  Dude who created the text description is the other commentor.  Let's call him "Arragontio" because frankly I am not a fan.  He has just, for the first time, seen the artists visual interpretation of his description.

  1. Arragontio: Gotta say, very strange use of the material. Ever heard of Klansmen not in white? For a start. Could you pull this and I'll submit my own? 
  2. (basically--please take this down...I don't approve.)
  3. SamanthAshli Pants's profile photo
    SamanthAshli Pants - Hahaha isn't that the fun part? I've had some really vague interpretations of the things I've written, even one where the description was mostly blacked out and the artist did whatever they damn pleased. Just make your own and submit it. I'd love to see the comparison between this and yours but I think credit needs to go to the artist right now who put in the work to draw, paint, paste, & mail this art back for our viewing pleasure. Klansmen have faces and names once they take off their robes...
  4. Arragontio : Yeah, but it's already been published in original form. So.... My theory's that if you take an idea of mine and improve and grow it into a bew improved variation or something else great. But realizing other people's visions has been a mainstay of the artworld for years and this, I hate to say it, just makes me cringe. And if you hurt the creative you've failed them.  They might not care, but that would explain the poor execution of someone trying too hard.
  5. (ouchies...so the whole idea of this art project makes you cringe, the artwork is horrible and you've already got an awesome version that you made of this at your house?!)
  6. Arragontio : Ps, the points been well missed.

  7. SamanthAshli Pants's profile photo
    SamanthAshli Pants - Maybe not though. "Tolerance in society" could be like: Kurt and Donald are from a small town in middle America. They are Klansmen in love and must indulge their love over dinner. The restaurant they choose is known for its affiliation with the Klansmen, hence the burning crosses on all of the tables but yet here these two are, safely enjoying a romantic (homosexual?) dinner together without interruption. The towns people know that on Thursday nights they meet up at Barbs house in white and talk about the evils of race and yell "white power" but crime is
    Down in small-city and so on and so forth. Who knows what this person was thinking.

    At first with the mail art I had a vision when i wrote and wanted to see if people could capture it, but after 20+ pictures to go with my writing, I can see the beauty of the time it took to create and not look so much for a direct interpretation. You're disappointed but everyones mind is different in art and to me: its cool to see that through this project.
  8. Arragontio : Yeah, but intellectual meandering aside, it's fucked up a remit, has failed the ideas originator and it's awful.
    "a faceless pair of nondescript blankness with irrelevant personal coloring, who once would have represented coloured bias had they not been born of color enjoy a small lunch in an abstract diner in a large city that provides pretension for the mind rather than romance for the heartless.
    Underlying the failure of vision or respect of those offering but subverting a service to another. Artful art for the artless subverted."
    And don't expect respect for one artist if they can't extend to the remit they're presented with and volunteer for. "F"
  9. Pretty glad I'm not the artist right now.  AN "F"!!!? Constructive.
  10. Arragontio : I do have a sense of humour, but this artist failed to try to grasp the concept. If you can't take rejection don't start the dance.
  11. Is this a personal attack now?...Is that where this is going?
  12. SamanthAshli Pants's profile photo
    SamanthAshli Pants - I suppose being the writer is just so much easier with this project. Maybe we the writer should try harder to inspire a picture more likely to "extend to the remit they're presented with" You're entitled to your distaste. Let's see one where you recieved the caption and drew your interp. What's in that brain of yours
  13. Arragontio : Or maybe some people should be clearer about not being able to interpret simple outlines and request clarification rather than being egotistical enough 'knock off' something they can't take feed back from the writer for.
    You over thought and badly executed someone else's idea. So please, pull it and I'll put in my own. As a published cartoonist and photographer I can speak as an artist who learnt how to follow a writers requests. Though in honesty I thought the idea of providing a terse description then allowing the viewer to fill in the "vacant space" with their own imagination was inspired.
    But to have missed the remit so utterly then complain about it? I'm requesting you have the integrity to remove any aspect that referred to my 'written' submission or do us both a favor and pull it.
    Thank you.
  14. Is it just me or does this guy think I am the artist/project leader...and very defensive?
  15. SamanthAshli Pants's profile photo
    I am just a bystander. Project Leader is who these requests go to as far as I know. I neither drew this picture nor run this art project. I am involved writing some descriptions, that's about it. 0.o
  16. Marc Rossmiller's profile photoProject leader
    .:)
  17. Marc Rossmiller's profile photo
     Project leader: - "I do have a sense of humour, but this artist failed to try to grasp the concept."

    or perhaps your concept failed to grasp the artist.
  18. Arragontio : - Fair enough. I try to remember that we "imagine" the tone of voice that we all hear when reading. Please, I'm not trying to be a shouty man or angry. But you can imagine it can be a very emotive subject.
    I apologise for any sense of antagonism of personal animosity. That wouldn't have been my intent even if you were the artist. I wish you well. And at the moment all free thinking people are on the same side (I hope) yours.
  19. An apology! I'll take it...and by god he is friendly now!!! It just turns a bit brutal after this, but that's the fun of a faceless-say anything internet environment.
  20. SamanthAshli Pants's profile photo
    SamanthAshli Pants - Kind of weird to me, but then sweet as sugar to Project Leader

    wanders away
  21. Arragontio - Now that's what I call strange. Need to write your lack of concern? Like ramming someone to tell them you don't care about the shirt they're wearing?
  22. SamanthAshli Pants's profile photo
    SamanthAshli Pants - I've never rammed anyone over a t-shirt, I can be sure about that. It's okay though, you might have me confused for someone else like earlier... (it's all good from where I'm standing so if you've got some sort of attitude...that's all you.
  23. Arragontio  - Sorry you just wandered back? Lol
  24. SamanthAshli Pants's profile photo
    SamanthAshli Pants - Yeah! That's how this works. I don't sit and stare at the page awaiting your comment. Instead, G+ will hit me up with a neat little "notification" so that I can wander right back...I know, I know: your mind is just completely blown. Take it all in. Technology, right?
So then; in a private setting I say to him:

Please cool your jets. Your nice pink panties will get all wadded up in your buttcrack & you'll have to spend the rest of your daybpicking it out of there. Very time consuming. Not right. 

It would be so easy to step away from your pissy start... If you would! 
Carry on.

Arragontio  -  So you've sought me out, again to tell me you don't care. God, have I got under your skin that much? I just questioned people's need on here to actively post people you don't care about them. Like, as I used as an example, ramming someone off the road just to say you don't care about their shirt. Pointless!  I'd muted that stream cos it was none of your business, you threw in your ten cents and it bounced back. Now I'm muting this stream too as your of no relevance to me. Just to be clear, ok? Bye. 
_________________________________________________________________________
SamanthAshli Pants's profile photo
SamanthAshli Pants  -  I am not saying I don't care. I do care!!! I think it's ridiculous.
________________________________________________________________________________________

But I've already been muted & we can't have that!

Once you've been muted, gotta go for the block. 

 

Needy for the final word I say (again in private...)

You seem to have the wrong impression that I don't care...but let me just explain: I do carrreeee! That's why I got involved. I care about the artist, and I could have cared to hear your thoughts on my interpretation of the picture, but instead you over-reacted and it became humorous and the troll came out in me.

I thought it was funny that you were so worked up when talking to me about how bad the artist was and how I should TAKE IT DOWN or TAKE YOU DOWN! But so polite when discovering (gasp!) you had the wrong person. I thought it was interesting how quickly you flipped the switch from angry self-righteous published person to humorous, casual, regular friendly guy and I didn't stop myself from saying so... 

I also got a kick out of the idea that you tried to make it seem like you knew why I reacted the way I did (Even funnier because I don't care? was your reasoning) I don't think that even begins to make sense...if I didn't care, I wouldn't have reacted at all. I would have completely dismissed you, but I think the artist deserves credit and attempted to stretch your brain around the concept that they must have had some reason to draw what they did... but instead I ran head-first into your ego.

Let me put it this way. YOUR T-SHIRT SUCKS. IT DOES NOT INSPIRE CREATIVITY AND I AM GLAD THAT I HAVE NOT, OR WILL NOT BE INVOLVED WITH YOUR WRITING IN THE LOST ART PROJECT. I CAN NOT UNDERSTAND WHY SOMEONE SO SELF-WORSHIPING WOULD WANT TO GET INVOLVED IN AN ART PROJECT THAT REQUIRES INTERPRETATION AND AN OPEN MIND IF THE MERE THOUGHT "MADE THEM SHUDDER"...THAT IS WHY I HAVE RAMMED YOU OFF THE ROAD... since you like these little metaphors.

You can go ahead and mute this one too...since you don't care, but I just thought I would clear it up that I was emotionally involved because I think everyone deserves the chance to be creative without criticism that has little to no constructive value and then later because you were rude to me...and why? because I "put my two cents in"...I realize that you made some sort of "apology" in that feed, but then continued to make little comments with your winning personality and it all seems fantastically arrogant to me...

The reason I continued this conversation is because I was hoping that some shred of decency might escape from your keyboard, but alas... I give up. 

Where you could have made a connection, you lost one.

________________________________________________________________________________________

All he can manage is an: "I DON'T GIVE A SHIT" comment...that's all it said.

________________________________________________________________________________________

FINALE:  What do you think?  Am I provoking an argument, because I find it interesting and pleasurable to heat the waters underneath a butt to create butt-hurt... or do you--like me; find him responsible for this bystander repercussion and his own let-down?  In my opinion, he either did absolutely zero research to see what the Project was about or was feeling superior to the artist and couldn't hold his tongue.  I would be intrigued to hear otherwise.

Furthermore, it is against my nature to watch someone stomp all over creativity while they parade around in their flamboyant arrogance suit, and I am a wordy mother effer...


.END.


1 comment:

  1. Samantha..I love you! For this guy to bash others art and their interpretation is low. Who knows. If he would have given positive, constructive critsicm the artist could have gone on to do amazing things. Hopefully the artist realizes that he is just a duchebag loser who wears his ego shirt waay to tight. You schooled him in a lesson of human kindness. PS. You are on my google reader and I read all your blogposts. I especially loved your last one about that very special summer. Miss u doll:)

    ReplyDelete